Staff Extranet >
A consultant psychiatrist at Dorset HealthCare will be testing his stamina and mental strength this weekend to raise money for an inspirational awards ceremony.
Dr Prem Jeyapaul, 41, was so inspired by attending the Road to Wellness awards in March he has chosen to run two half marathons to raise both awareness of the event and funds to support it.
Having completed the Bournemouth Half Marathon in October, he is now seeking sponsorship for the 16-mile Dorset Trail run at Lulworth Cove on Saturday (2 December).
All money raised will be donated towards the cost of the next Road to Wellness awards ceremony at The Lighthouse, Poole, on 20 March 2018.
The Road to Wellness Awards, launched by Dorset HealthCare back in 2013, celebrate people across the county who have battled – or helped others – to overcome debilitating physical or mental health problems.
Prem, who is based at Poole’s Alderney Hospital, said: “These awards represent a unique opportunity to celebrate the great work of patients and their carers. Last year’s event was fantastic and I felt very proud to nominate the eventual winner of the Carers Award.
“I wanted to make a contribution so we can continue to build on the tremendous success of last year, which provided moving testimony of how kindness, courage and inspiration can help turn lives around.”
Prem completed the Bournemouth Half Marathon in some style, recording an impressive time of 1 hour 40 minutes. You can sponsor Prem’s Dorset Trail run by searching for his name on the Just Giving website.
Nominations for the Road to Wellness awards are open until 2 February. Patients or carers can be nominated in these categories:
• Group Award – where a group of people have supported their peers
• Kindness Award – where someone has shown particular compassion and kindness in helping someone
• Inspiration Award – where a person has inspired others by fighting to overcome severe difficulties
• Courage Award – where a person has been particularly brave in the face of adversity
• Carers Award – where someone has shown outstanding commitment, support and positivity in caring for someone with a health condition
• Outstanding Achievement Award – a particularly great story where someone has done exceptionally well to recover or made a real difference in helping others.
Anyone – patient, carer, friend or health worker – can submit a nomination. It will take only half an hour or so to complete, with guidance and nomination forms available at www.dorsethealthcare.nhs.uk/road-wellness. Alternatively you can submit a paper version, available at all Trust sites or by simply phoning 01202 277085.
To book your place at the awards ceremony, or if you have any queries, email email@example.com