Current service update: assessment service resumed (via Attend Anywhere video link or telephone. Face-to-face appointments are available if necessary)
Our Community Adult Asperger Service (CAAS) is a service that offers diagnosis to adults who are in primary care. The service offers signposting to people with a diagnosis of an autism spectrum condition (Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism).
We work with people over the age of 18 who don’t have a learning disability, providing a range of person-centred care and support. This can include:
- diagnostic assessment including second opinions
- post diagnostic groups and OT interventions for people who are diagnosed through the service (currently online until further notice due to COVID-19)
- consultation to other professionals about how to best support the needs of people with a diagnosis
- advice and signposting to other relevant agencies, services and groups
- advice on seeking an assessment of social care needs, where appropriate
- support to professionals in other teams and agencies to improve their understanding of the condition.
Our experienced team includes clinical psychologists, a consultant psychiatrist, occupational therapists, nurse specialist, assistant psychologists and team assistants.
If you, or a loved one, need to access this service, please contact your GP. If you, or your loved one, are already under the care of a Community Mental Health Team (CMHT), a diagnosis will be made by a professional in that team. However, a second opinion may be sought through the CAAS by the relevant CMHT.
Advice and support for relatives/carers is provided by a range of organisations.
For details, contact:
- Autism Unlimited
- Dorset Adult Aspergers Support (DAAS)
- The National Autistic Society
- NHS Choices (Living with Autism)
Where to access the service:
Please only complete these forms if a referral has been made on your behalf via a GP or other service and you have been invited to fill them in by the service. Regrettably, we do not accept self-referrals to the service.