Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Your local authorities provide what is known as a 'SEND Local offer' which provides information and advice on services and activities for children and young people living in your local area aged 0-25 with special educational needs and disabilities.

You can find information on support for parents/carers, activities and preschools/schools support, financial and crisis support in BCP Council and Dorset Council.

Parent Carer Support

BCP Council Family Information Service and Dorset Family Information Service are free, impartial information services for parents and carers of children and young people aged up to 19, or up to 25 years for those with special educational needs or disability (SEND).

Parent Carers Together - a parent carer forum set up to represent the voices of Parent Carers of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (0-25 years) in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

Parent Carer Foundation provides a central voice for parents and carers of children and young adults with SEN / complex learning / medical needs and disabilities. The Foundation will also signpost Parents and Carers regarding health, education, social services and other agencies in and around Bournemouth.

Autism Wessex is one of the UK's leading regional charities providing support to anyone affected by autism.

Home-Start is a local community network of trained volunteers and expert support helping families with young children through their challenging times.

Dorset Parent Carer Council is a service made up of parents and carers of children who have a variety of special needs from complex medical to challenging behaviour to learning or physical difficulties and more.

Supporting the Child

Diverse Abilities is Dorset’s disability charity and provides a lifetime of sustainable support and educational services to enable children and adults with disabilities to achieve their full potential.

The Dorset Children’s Foundation aims to provide support for local unwell and disabled children by funding medical expenses, mobility equipment and therapies not covered by the NHS.

The National Autistic Society is a leading UK charity that provides support, information and practical advice for autistic adults and children, as well as their family members and carers.

Sibs is a charity for siblings who are growing up with or have grown up with a disabled brother or sister. They provide information, support and training on sibling issues for adult siblings, young siblings, parents and professionals.

CAMHS offer specific help for children and young people, as well as people with learning disabilities.

Remember, you can speak to a member of the health visiting team by ringing your local hub in your area if you require further support.

Health Visiting