Find bereavement support
Experiencing bereavement is difficult at any time, but when your loss is particularly sudden, unexpected or traumatic, including where the person may have taken their own life, it can be additionally difficult. There is a wealth of support available to you, and we have put together details of support services ranging from emotional support and peer support to practical advice and guidance.
Below are some resources, organisations and supports available both nationally and locally. A number of these resources are specific to traumatic loss but not exclusively. If you would like to discuss any of these supports or not sure which you might find helpful, please contact a member of our team on 01305 361361 or alternatively email: email@example.com
Pop into our Bereavement Cafe's
Delivered in partnership with Mosaic: Supporting Bereaved Children and Dorset Mental Health Forum we are hosting bereavement cafes in Weymouth and Dorchester this Winter. Open to everyone; they are a place for you to find out about what bereavement support is available, to share feelings of grief and loss, to talk through opportunities to commemorate, remember and celebrate the lives of your loved ones. No booking necessary, come along on your own or bring friends and family, or just join us for a coffee and a chat.
Where & When?
Tuesday 21 & 28 November: 4.30pm to 6.30pm @ The Front Skate Park, Preston Beach Road, Weymouth, DT4 7SX (Google Map)
Thursday 23 & 30 November: 4.30pm to 6.30pm @ The Gallery, Dorset Mental Health Forum, 29-29a Durngate Street, Dorchester, DT1 1JP (Google Map)
Tuesday 5 & 12 December: 4.30pm to 6.30pm @ The Front Skate Park, Preston Beach Road, Weymouth, DT4 7SX (Google Map)
Thursday 7 & 14 December: 4.30pm to 6.30pm @ The Gallery, Dorset Mental Health Forum, 29-29a Durngate Street, Dorchester, DT1 1JP (Google Map)
To find out more information speak with our team:
Tel: 01305 361361
Are you looking for urgent support or to talk to someone immediately?
- Samaritans | Every life lost to suicide is a tragedy | Here to listen - 116 123
- Access Mental Health Dorset (dorsethealthcare.nhs.uk) - 0800 652 0190
- Homepage | Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) (thecalmzone.net) - 0800 58 58 58 (5pm to Midnight)
- Information and support (mariecurie.org.uk) - 0800 090 2309 (8.00 am - 6.00 pm Monday to Friday, 11 am - 5.00 pm on Saturdays. Bank holidays open 10am – 4pm)
Are you bereaved by suspected suicide?
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide – Overcoming the isolation of people bereaved by suicide (uksobs.org) - 0300 111 5065 Monday and Tuesday
- Suicide&Co | Support after Suicide Bereavement (suicideandco.org) - 0800 054 8400 from 9am-9pm Monday to Friday
- Cruse - 0808 808 1677
- Support groups for people bereaved by suicide | Samaritans
- The Compassionate Friends - 0345 123 2304
- AtaLoss.org is the UK's signposting and information website for bereaved people
- Dorset Coroner's Service - 01202 454910
- Coroner's Court Support Service - 0300 111 2141
- Funeral directors also offer bereavement support services
Are you a young person, or working with young people, impacted by a suicide or suspected suicide?
- Mosaic - 01258 837071
- Winston's Wish - 08088 020 021
- Hope Again - 0808 808 1677
- Simon Says - 02380 647550
Debrief service | Papyrus UK | Suicide Prevention Charity (papyrus-uk.org) - We would encourage everybody supporting young people in a professional capacity to debrief, after an encounter with suicide. Call HOPELINE247 on 0800 068 4141, text 07860 039967 or email firstname.lastname@example.org every day of the year from 9am to midnight.
- Shout - UK's 24/7 Crisis Text Service for Mental Health Support | Shout 85258 (giveusashout.org) - 85258
- Papyrus UK Suicide Prevention | Prevention of Young Suicide (papyrus-uk.org) - 07860 039967
Useful reading for advice and guidance
- Help is at hand – Support After Suicide
- Finding The Words – Support After Suicide
- From Grief To Hope - NSPA
- Resources – Support After Suicide
- Help Hub, Find Support After Suicide — Suicide&Co (suicideandco.org)
Prefer to listen to podcasts or read books?
- Books & Podcasts — Help Hub, Find Support After Suicide — Suicide&Co (suicideandco.org)
- Life after suicide documentary
- Support After Suicide Podcasts
Other resources and support
- Dorset Mental Health Forum
- Dorset Mind
- Rethink - Dorset Carers Support - 01305 262771
- Recovery Education Centre - 01202 584478
- Contact your local faith organisation or Faithworks
- bereavement support in Dorset poster.
If you're not sure what you might find helpful, Dorset Open Door can help. As a partnership of healthcare organisations and charities, they'll explore your options with you and link you with the right service.
You can call 01305 361 361 or email email@example.com Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm.