Speech and language therapy service (Children & young people’s)

What is speech therapy? 

Our speech and language therapists provide life-improving treatment, advice, support and care for children and young people who are experiencing challenges with their communication, or with their eating, drinking and swallowing. 

We aim to work in partnership with parents and carers, and other key people in the child or young person’s environment to support their

  • understanding of words and sentences
  • use of words and sentences
  • communication and interaction
  • dysfluency (stammering)
  • speech sounds
  • voice

We also help children and young people who have physical difficulties with swallowing, eating and drinking. Some children we support may have other identified needs such as cleft palate, hearing impairment and special educational needs and disability (SEND).

How do we work?

Speech and Language Therapists use specialist skills and a variety of methods to assess a child or young person’s needs and determine if further support is needed. We work in partnerships with the child or young person, their parents/carers and family and other professionals such as teachers, early years setting staff, occupational therapists, doctors and heath visitors to provide quality care and the most appropriate support for your child. The support we provide to your child is based on their needs, it is individual to them. It is vital that the supportive approaches identified by the therapist are practiced at home with family encouragement and assistance.  

Education staff at your child’s early years or school setting are also key partners in supporting your child or young person by following the advice and personalised programmes of support provided by the therapist.

Where do we work?

The service works across Dorset and aims to offer support in the most appropriate setting for your child. This may be in a health centre, children’s centre, school, nursery or at home.  A number of our appointments are offered virtually. We are a teaching trust and therefore it is possible that your child may be seen by a student speech and language therapist under the direct or indirect supervision of a qualified speech and language therapist.

Please see our locations for current clinic locations, which include details of accessibility and parking. 

Explore the service

Adult speech and language therapy Physical Health